Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech AXIOS Central Artificial Intelligence System

Status
Not open for further replies.
AXIOS C.A.I.S.

Intent: To provide the Sith Empire with a highly efficient, advanced, and adaptable Artificial Intelligence System for use on capital ships at 1km in length or above.
Development Thread:

Manufacturer: Lussk Logistics
Model: AXIOS CAIS MkI
Affiliation: Sith Empire
Modularity: Non-Modular
Production: Minor (Only on capital ships 1km or higher)
Material: Durasteel (For AI Core)
Description:

With the collective effort of several top-notch starship designers, weapons manufacturers, programmers, and engineers, the AXIOS Central Artificial Intelligence System came into existence. AXIOS is designed to manage all of the vessel's technical systems and computing needs such as: navigation, tactical analysis, security monitoring, fire control, encryption, and even expert advisory for commanders. Most AXIOS units are given nicknames by their captains.

In order to give it such advanced cognitive and adaptive functions, much of the programming is similar to that of a T-series Tactical droid, most design info drawn from the Sith Emperor's (Dranok Lussk) personal droid, TD-30. The system has a certain measure of freedom, although the AI can be manually overridden by the ship's chief engineer or captain, both of whom hold keycards to the AI core on each ship.

As far as abilities go, AXIOS can direct but not reprogram the vessel's droid complements. This can also be overridden by the two key individuals on the ship. It also holds control over the ship's electronic warfare suite and can manage weaponry for the vessel during combat. It fields a Friend-or-Foe program that identifies friendly vessels from enemy ones and uses advanced software to target and eliminate all hostiles.

To interface with AXIOS, this can be done either through a computer console or verbally. Note that AXIOS only responds to the captain's voice, who will need to synchronize his voice and DNA with the mainframe to ensure accuracy. AXIOS also detects and reports malicious hacking and slicing attempts be they physical or over programming code. The AI automatically isolates these files and reports them to the vessel's technicians for investigation and removal. There are also no memory wipes given to AXIOS, but the system includes clean-up code subroutines.

Given that AXIOS is a highly efficient system it does not come without a cost. Because of its massive power demands, the AXIOS CAIS requires an additional generator (Hypermatter) to be installed on the vessel solely to provide enough power for the AI to fulfill multitasking objectives. If only a single task is done at a time, AXIOS can slide by on a single generator for the whole ship. This extra generator will be close to the AI core and will usually not be as heavily guarded as the core is, leaving it open to physical attacks to put AXIOS out of commission. The crew can, however, shut down AXIOS in this event and run the ship manually but at the cost of efficiency.

In short, the AXIOS Central Artificial Intelligence System was heralded as the ship captain's best friend. It's a small, advanced package of multiple valuable assets that can reduce crew needs for vessels and increase the efficiency of ships that service this system.

I'm a little hesitant to approve this as is because it does deal with AI. Even though the development thread was attached, after reading it, I feel it lacking. It reads more of an expanded description, and not an explanation of how the AI came about. I see only successes, and detailed sparsely at that, and no difficulties or challenges faced by the engineers and developers. How were they able to resolve the issues of self-awareness? Were there issues of self-awareness and preservation? What about power supply? What did the developers use as the basis of the AI's tactical/strategic repertoire?

While the development thread is set up as the Emperor's diary, so he may not be aware or involved with these set-backs, I feel that their absence detracts from the development as a whole.

Additionally, while I typically hate the whole strengths/weaknesses section seen in the majority of submissions, I would like to see something to that effect either in the development thread and/or the description. It's too easy for lesser RPers to say "AI, it can do anything!!" and use the AI as a deus ex machina. Including the strengths/weaknesses can constrain that behavior and provide additional guidelines for RPing.

So, in summary:

1) In the development thread, please include some pitfalls faced by the engineering team.

2) Please include some listed weaknesses to help provide guidance for RPers who may use this technology.

If you have questions or feedback or disagreements, please post here. Also, please Please tag me in your reply. Thanks! :)

@[member="Asemir Lor'kora"]

If you don't call risking an entire vessel, its crew, and the Sith Emperor a failure, then I don't know what to tell ya :p Edits have been made along with a large weakness for the AI system. The biggest thing I'm adding is the addition of a second generator built solely for the powering of the AXIOS CAIS. The AI core itself may be guarded electronically and whatnot, but this leaves opposition a chance to fight if they can take out one of the generators that will put it out of commission.

But, this can be avoided afterwards if the crew sets things on manual. If one generator is lost, they can always cut off the AI and resume things normally like that had done before. This will, however, be of less efficiency because of the lack of a larger crew that the installation of AXIOS got rid of.

Thanks for the detailed breakdown, nice read.

An additional power generator is actually quite a large weakness, not necessarily in terms of vulnerability. That means whole ships have to be redesigned to allow the additional weight and structure needed to house a new generator, and thus limit tonnage devoted to weapons, armor, etc. Sounds reasonable. Additionally, that change was edited into the dev thread. Good.

Another question: What's the cost like on one of these AXIOS units?

@[member="Dranok Lussk"]

Have to step in and point out that a single post is not acceptable for a development thread. You need many posts with more than just yourself. So the listed thread is inadmissable as a dev thread until it meets our requirements.

@[member="Dranok Lussk"]

I wouldn't focus on the number of posts per say. Rather, focus on telling the story of how the AXIOS was developed. Have someone (or several people) RP the engineers and programmers, and RP out the life of creating a military AI. For example, take your diary as a basis, and RP out each day/week in much further detail.

Can you post a link to the new dev thread? The original link seems to be broken. I get an error about not having the permission to view the thread, or some such. Thanks!

@[member="Dranok Lussk"]

@[member="Dranok Lussk"]

Thank you for fixing the link.

Please reply again (and tag me) when you've revised the development thread to include at least one other person, and include an RPing of the development of the AI system.

Personally, I like this tech idea, it's an elaborate C3 system, but it is potentially very abuse-prone, so I (and I'm sure the RPJs) would like to see some heavy RP development to "justify" its creation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom