Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

April 2014 Staff Critique Thread

You said it best elsewhere.

Akala said:
Honestly, who hasn't had a scuffle with Staff - of this website or another. We're human and therefore very fallible.

The staff, from what I've seen in my short time here, so I could definitely only be catching a small cross-section of it, are highly prone to being tactless and impolite with the members here. Mistakes happen. Things change. Some people are ruder than others, absolutely. If you're a leader, however, you should be plenty prepared to shoulder all manner of abuse and tolerate each disagreement or disapproval as if it's a first. An issue shouldn't be dismissed simply out of regard for a recurring dissenter, but viewed as a new issue. Even a blind squirrel can find a nut. The entirety of the staff, or staff anywhere, really, should have a sticky-note with that last bit up on their monitors.

The rest of what I've got to say can go to PMs. Tact and privacy and all that. (At least, if I can figure out how to computer I will PM it)

Janus Rogo said:
You said it best elsewhere.

The staff, from what I've seen in my short time here, so I could definitely only be catching a small cross-section of it, are highly prone to being tactless and impolite with the members here. Mistakes happen. Things change. Some people are ruder than others, absolutely. If you're a leader, however, you should be plenty prepared to shoulder all manner of abuse and tolerate each disagreement or disapproval as if it's a first. An issue shouldn't be dismissed simply out of regard for a recurring dissenter, but viewed as a new issue. Even a blind squirrel can find a nut. The entirety of the staff, or staff anywhere, really, should have a sticky-note with that last bit up on their monitors.

The rest of what I've got to say can go to PMs. Tact and privacy and all that.
I appreciate you for complying.

As for your concerns, they're noted.

Circe Savan said:
If only it was as easy as being able to list all the RPJs, admins, and factory judges in a single list... /me goes to hunt for them
RPJs: http://starwarsrp.net/index.php?app=members&section=view&module=list&filter=29
Admins: http://starwarsrp.net/index.php?app=members&section=view&module=list&filter=28
FJs: http://starwarsrp.net/topic/14433-factory-moderators-announced/

0zp5.jpg

You shouldn't appreciate me for complying. You should appreciate that I'm trying to make a wonderful world on this site, or something suitably cheesy. You should respect that I'm trying to comply with the concepts of tact and decency that have little to do with this site. @[member="Circe Savan"], you should be looking for ways to help the Mods/Admins/RPJs/DNC/whoever improve, not get a list together and bash on it. Sure, Akala invited bashing. Try to avoid that. Constructive criticism. HOW DO I MAKE PMS WORK

chrisgelderd

Half Bond, Half Bean.
Well I'm very new here and haven't had much run-in with the staff, but I just want to say the general vibe has been very welcoming and the help provided has been very valuable to find my way and meet new people.

If anything, I note that it's easy to feel... left out a little with welcoming's, but I think that's a general vibe with any new place you come into already in full swing. You make posts and new characters and hope for positive feedback and/or initial reaction from the staff but don't get any, but other people make posts and it seems they have pages and pages of debate, chat and reflection, but I suppose if they are already known to staff members here it's natural.

That was only one little irk I had joining, but it's probably daft anyway and not something that needs to be changed because you can't force reaction.

I say keep up the good work and I look forward to see how the site develops for sure with the staff working on it.

@[member="Chris Gelderd"]

If I take action on only one concern presented in this thread this month, Chris, it'll be yours. I too share the sentiment that this community should definitely be more welcoming towards new people, and I feel that we're not.

chrisgelderd

Half Bond, Half Bean.
I think it's just old habits, and maybe a very tight knit community that maybe just finds it a little hard to break out of the bubble for new members and characters.

But if people did (you can't really enforce people to do things however), I think it would boost confidence in getting people straight into RP and feel they are going to be a good member.

One of the knocks I took was thinking my characters weren't interesting or good, as no-one really took notice of them, but they did with others, but it seemed some staff knew the characters/writers from elsewhere so... never mind!

:)

A lot of people here do know each other from other communities in the past. And most Staff Member's have roots that grow very deep in Star Wars RP communities over the years. However, we've got a lot of new people here too - and if new people even get the hint of not feeling welcome, I wish to try and do something about that.

However, the burden will always be on the newcomer to make him/herself more known, and have the courage not to hold back or be timid. It's the same as joining a group IRL and meeting new people - strange, at first. But hopefully a good kind of strange, with us.

chrisgelderd

Half Bond, Half Bean.
Definitely, hence why I can't critique any staff or members really, it's the confident two-way thing. But I've found the environment here is very welcoming on the whole and thankfully there are plenty of people to induct new members into threads and stories to get them up and running. And definitely a good kind of strange.

Carn Dista

C
My only critique is that certain members of staff sre far too quick to jump on the defensive if proven wrong / told they're being out of line when they've been rude/too hasty, and it reflects badly on the staff team as a whole. Alas, I'm unwilling to name names because it'd be unfair to single people out.

On the flip side of that however, the staff are incredibly receptive to new ideas, and almost always listen to what those ideas are in their fullness before jumping in with their thoughts.

Overall for this month, 8/10.

To be honest, it's not ever really a good idea to tell a Staff member they're out of line. You might be in the right, but if you call them out in public, they're probably going to respond rudely - even if they're wrong. Why? Because we're human and we put up with a lot of stuff, so our patience (though high) can run thin at times. Try a PM, and if that doesn't work, contact an Admin. If it's an Admin, contact me. If it's me, contact an Admin.

If the above doesn't work, try to ignore the situation and move on - if it continues, rinse, repeat.

Valik

Professor of Alchemy
I guess I'm just still surprised y'all let a scrub like @[member="Boolon Murr"] be a tech judge. I mean, scanpack and the Chodo Habat and that's it? Is this man really qualified?

Edit: While I'm on the factory I might as well say something useful. I don't think we've broken two pages on any of the factor subs in a while, and Tech, Company and Planets have been especially speedy. Hats off to you.

I have to agree with @[member="Janus Rogo"], I wasn't here for too long but I always join new sites afraid that if I do I single thing wrong, even as a newbie, I might get lashed out at and get hated on. Constructive criticism is certainly the way to go, if you just break out and scream at members, especially if they're new, you might not find them so quick to agree and respond - and feelings will be hurt.
However, it is also suggested that the plain members do the same. If a judge or admin did something you don't like, never lash out at them (that'll just lead to getting banned) just walk up to them nicely and you'll most likely get a nice reply. If both sides are nice to each other this website could be an excellent community.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom