Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

And the Sky Full of Stars

ghetto_02.png

D R U C K E N W E L L
The Ardwell Building

Expanding south had come with a host of issues and new possibilities.

The Corellian Trade Spine was a logical avenue for pursuing the distribution of Corellia Digital's products to the broader galactic market, but dispute over distribution rights to Denon had ensnared the boy in a legal battle with Offworld Exports, as the former Republic distributor found their territory ripped out from under them by the advancement of the Sith war machine.

Druckenwell was further south from Denon, located in the Techno Union. Its industrial history, strong economic development, and political connection to the corporate free market made it the most appealing of options for a secondary base outside of the Sith-controlled Corellian Sector.

As Sasori Research had paid for development of the Coalition's next generation comlink in pure aurodium ingots, the boy was left holding onto precious metals with a great deal of investment potential. That potential needed an expansive, intergalactic market in order to have its potential maximized. And would require extensive oversight and organization in order to be managed properly. That had led to opening the doors to something beyond the scope of information technology.

An investment and banking firm, a subsidiary into which the wealth generated and held by Corellia Digital could be managed in order to leverage its assets and keep better oversight on corporate debts.

It was called Corell Financial. It's doors opening on the upper floors of an office building located in the midst of a busy district in Il Avali, the capital of the modern world.

On the street, the first Corellia Digital Store outside of the Corellian system was preparing to open to the public -- bringing with it the further expansion of the HoloStation and Corellia Digital's hologame library.

Walking through the space that occupied one corner of the Ardwell building's one hundred and fourth floor, the boy passed through the area. Cubicles were occupied by SP-4 and JN-66 analysis droids, sifting through the market data and crunching the numbers in generating financial trend predictions. It was a veritable war machine that he was creating. A business engine that would take the economic market by storm.

At least, the markets affected by the economy of the Techno Union.

Sor-Jan's financial goals had expanded far beyond the borders of the Corellian System now. He had a powerful customer and client in the form of the Silver Sanctum Coalition. Friends he had thus far leveraged for beneficial contracts with Sasori Research, but perhaps the time had come to branch out toward other companies in that sector as well.

Walking into the large executive suite that had been set aside for him, the boy motioned toward the VC modular probe droid that was hovering in the room. "Tap into the nets and see if you can connect me with Firemane," the boy noted.

Why stop at reaching for the moon? If he was going to go big, he might as well reach for the stars...

"I want to speak to Siobhan Kerrigan."

[member="Siobhan Kerrigan"]​

[member="Sor-Jan Xantha"]

Tygara
Firemane Villa

The Lady Kerrigan was many, many light years away from Druckenwell, which ironically was one of the battlefield she'd fought on in the past. Long story cut short, the Omega Protectorate had invaded it and, during the course of the battle, the Confederady of Independent Systems had first dropped its own shipyards on the planet and then ordered its fleet to raze it. Siobhan had been among those Masters who'd tried to mitigate the calamity and save lives.

Many years had passed since then, and it had been eclipsed by other holocausts as what seemed like a great conflagration spread across the Galaxy. Such as the horrors Akala perpetrated on Corellia. Sio's own adoptive homeworld, Kaeshana, had been devastated, though not through the hand of man, but by an asteroid.

She, along with a fraction of the Eldorai, had found a new home in the stars on the world they called Tygara. A beautiful, lush planet whose indigenous population of elves was fractious, divided and had only recently experienced first contact. Time would tell whether being integrated into the galactic community through the stewardship of their 'older cousins' and Firemane would be beneficial to them.

In any case, Siobhan was in her villa when the call was made, having just finished discussing certain military matters pertaining to the construction of new fortifications along the border with the Xioquo, with the Grand Seraph. Night had already fallen upon Tygara, and Siobhan was lying on a couch reading some papers. Through the window, she could get a good view of New Santaissa and the hills it lay beneath.

"Lady Mistress," Harmony, her beautiful Dahomian secretary/harem girl/general troll, spoke as she stepped into the living room. "The office just called. Maerys says there's a call from a...Sor-Jan Xantha. Wishes to speak with you."

Firemane's HQ was not located on Tygara since the planet was too underdeveloped and risky, but on Dac. However, the villa was equipped with the latest in communications technology, so if needed Siobhan could conduct business from here, which was how she preferred it. Siobhan knitted her brow together as she tried place to the name.

"Oh, right, think [member="Coci Heavenshield"] mentioned him. Sold comms toys to the Sanctum. Bit nerdy. I'll take the call in my study. Do be a dear and get me some tea," and so she got up and, after planting a kiss on Harmony's lips, walked to her study. There she sat down behind her rather impressive desk, which was made out of some sort of expensive Kashyyyk wood, and pressed a button on a holocommunicator. "Countess Siobhan Kerrigan," she stated, when presumably the call connected.

The VC probe droid supplied a lifesize hologram of a red-headed woman in the center of the room.

Turning toward the photon and light simulacrum, the young Anzat genuflected toward the glowing figure. "Countess," the boy intoned politely, in deference to her title. Nobility was an interesting societal construct, and one that still somewhat baffled him. He supposed it ought not, as the Jedi structured itself somewhat similarly. The ubiquitous Jedi Knight was almost akin to a feudal lord, with the padawans and hopefuls as the serfs or freemen. Subject to the whims of the Jedi Masters. A self-selecting body that promoted their own according to internal politics or policies.

But, enough about hokey religions or archaic social structures. "Sor-Jan Xantha, of the Corellia Digital company," the boy supplied by way of introductions. He imagined she knew that already, but it would be impolite to not offer some kind of introduction.

The logical question before her was, why was he calling? "I've had the pleasure of working with several members of the Sanctum, as well as other financial leaders within the Coalition," the boy remarked casually, not specifically addressing that point head on just yet. He wanted to have a conversation with her, and that meant not rushing through this. It was important to establish a rapport. as in casual or personal conversation. In that sense, the holographic technology was a boon in facilitating the human touch in these impersonal, long-distance communications.

Did she know he'd done business with the Sanctum? That was most likely yes. Sasori Research? Most likely no. Corellia Digital was still too small to be picked up by a corporate giant such as Firemane. Something that was a blessing, as it kept him from getting bought out by a company he couldn't possibly muster the resources to combat. Still, it was a common ground and he would press it for what it was worth. "Yet, somehow our paths have never crossed," the youth noted, regretfully so.

Raising his head up, the boy paused for a moment before he offered simply, "Forgive me if this is too bold, but I'd hoped this call might remedy that."

It was indeed quite baffling that the Jedi claimed to serve freedom and democracy, yet were structured like a top-down oligarchy guided by dogma that could only be interpreted by those at the top of the pyramid. Especially since half the time the Jedi claimed that they were not accountable to any secular body or even common law. Then again, the Republic also most of the times fell short of its self-proclaimed ideals.

The irony was that Siobhan had not been born a noble, but come from the gutter. Moving on from the meta, Siobhan now found herself facing her caller. She was momentarily taken aback by how young he looked. Little did she know that the boy had commanded clone troopers almost a millennia ago. However, she composed herself smoothly before something embarrassing could leave her lips.

"A pleasure to meet you, Mr. Xantha," she spoke politely. It felt...a bit odd having a business discussion with someone who looked young enough to be her son. For a moment she wondered whether he was from Naboo. After all, that planet had a habit of teenage queens, so they might as well produce teenage businessmen. The thought that he could be an Anzati did not occur to her, though in all fairness she had not dealt with a member of that species before. Same applied to time travellers, except Tamara.

"Firemane is always looking for new friends and business contacts. Master Heavenshield spoke highly of the comms your company developed for SSC," At this point Harmony sauntered into the study, carrying a steaming cup of Atrisian tea for Siobhan. Putting the cup down on the desk, she gave her Lady's shoulder a squeeze and planted a kiss on her cheek, before turning away and departing from the room. Siobhan raised the cup of to her lips and took a sip. Just the way she liked it. "I hope this doesn't cause offence or come across as casting aspersions on your professional competence, but you are...very young for someone in your position."

The boy caught the slight hesitation.

Nothing he wasn't quite accustomed to. Among Jedi as with business. A light smile pulled at the corners of his mouth as he returned her pleasantries. "The pleasure is mine," the boy uttered warmly. That Master Heavenshield would speak positively of their relationship was certainly to be appreciated. Piss off one customer, they were guaranteed to tell a hundred people. Satisfy a customer? You were lucky if they'd tell ten people.

It was just how business worked.

And appearances played a powerful role in those relationships. "Ah, the classic paradox," the boy remarked, as he was presented with the question of his age. Which implied a great many things, really. Species being foremost among them. There was a large portion of the galaxy that liked to believe his species was more myth than man. And for good reason. "Is there no truth in beauty?" the boy posed, answering the question with a question.

Rhetorically so, as he supplied the answer a second later. "I find that youth and beauty depend greatly on our point of view," the boy commented, off-handedly. How very Jedi of him. Perhaps some habits died hard. But, that was neither here nor there. "In my own case, I was born in Bela Vistal, in what was then forty-seven B-r-S."

The galactic calendar had changed after the fall of the Galactic Empire to the Alliance to Restore the Galactic Republic. He didn't really understand the politics of it, as he hadn't been present for any of those events, but as near as he could determine, the calendar he thought he knew had changed on him as a result of some trivial conflict over the moon of Yavin.

"I believe you refer to the same date today as sixty-nine B-B-Y," the boy supplied, on the off-chance she wasn't up on her history of the galactic calendar. A most riveting subject, really. There was a great book on the topic by a Lorrd scholar. Year Zero was the title. It had even been on the Onderon Times Bestseller List for awhile. But, he digressed. "But if you're saying that I've aged well, I'll happily take the compliment."

Everything he'd said was true, but it presented the impression that he was almost a thousand years old. Of course, there was no need to get personal as to the details, and that wasn't necessarily a bad look for him. Besides, if Anzat were a difficult concept for people to accept as real, there was absolutely no need to invoke time travel to make an already convoluted subject more so.

Siobhan blinked after the boy dropped some enigmatic revelations, which both provided answers and opened up new questions. Siobhan did not know about Anzati, but the boy having lived for a thousand years seemed...unlikely to her.

Time travel via hyperspace malfunction or a deep carbonite sleep? That seemed more plausible. However, she decided against prodding him about it. Given the fact that one of her minions was a 25, 000 year Eldorai 'demigoddess', she could take the idea of a teenage tycoon who'd been around during Palpatine's ascent to power in stride without losing her composure too much.

"Well, gosh, now I do feel a bit silly. I shall seek to look past shallow appearances and keep my motherly instincts to check," she chuckled, her voice filled with mirth and amusement. "I suppose your story either involves time travel or you have very good anti-aging cream. If it's the latter you'll have to tell me the name! So much has changed since the time you were born, though I suppose some things always stay the same. Like Jedi and Sith clobbering one another in their jihad." she commented.

"Anyway, enough prodding from me. I understand Corellia Digital is primarily an electronics and computer company. What sort of business did you have in mind between us?"

The boy leaned back against the deck in the room, folding his hands down in front of him as he regarded the holographic image before him.

Time travel as a first option. The Lady Kerrigan either had some interesting experiences behind her to have arrived at that conclusion, or else she was very open minded. "Hyperdrive malfunction," the boy supplied casually, without further elaboration.

She jumped straight to the point. Forthright. Professional. Inclining his head slightly, the boy noted the change of subject. "I noticed you deal with a variety of vehicles," the young Jedi noted. Firemane's portfolio was quite robust. Walkers. Starfighters. Star cruisers. "Those require a great deal of computer power. Command and control interfaces. Communications. Information security..."

Firemane didn't have any other venture with a substantive focus on information technology. At least, not one that the boy was aware of. So were they manufacturing those aspects of the vehicles in house? Sub-contracting? It seemed the likely avenue where his business might be able to contribute something of value. "Without putting too fine of a point on it, I'd thought we might begin our conversation there."

Ironically hypersapce malfunction had once caused Siobhan to travel a decade into the past on another board. This one is not sure whether they're rating that adventure as canon or apocryphal. Siobhan took another sip from her tea as she considered. Firemane had very little in terms of automation or droid control, beyond what its subsidiary Guild of Hammers produced. "I do think that's a good basis to begin our conversation," she said, smiling slightly.

"Your offer has me interested. We could use better targeting equipment for tanks, artillery, walkers and turrets." Some new projects were being planned out, so an update was in order. "Likewise, new and more secure communications for our infantry and vehicles would be a boon, too."

It seemed the conversation was proceeding better than he had hoped.

Communications was certainly something of their specialty. "Soldiers are burdened with so much equipment in this day and age, adding another device to that seems hardly practical," the boy ventured aloud. "I'd imagine we might be able to work on a joint project. Improve upon the communications and data protocols of the the systems integrated into Firemane's armor." It was a bold statement, from such a smaller company to a corporate giant. But she'd opened the door. He'd merely stepped through it.

If she knew about the device they'd manufactured for the Coalition, then she had at least some idea of what Corellia Digital was capable of putting into production.

The military aspect of a targeting computer was singularly appealing however. Off the top of his head, he imagined that the technical distinctions between targeting scanners and their holographic imaging scanners would be fairly minimal. Developing a targeting computer would take the company away from purely communications and data storage to something with an interesting growth potential. "Separately, it would be our pleasure to develop a targeting computer for your consideration."

Bold could go two ways with Siobhan. Either well or very poorly. Usually it depended on her mood, since she could be a quite prideful, tempestuous woman. "That is a fair point. A joint project would be interesting. Our present systems are adequate, but they're old and could use some improvement. Communications security is particularly important, as you know," she spoke smoothly.

"Our technical experts can work with yours to hash out the details and make sure it's tailored to us. Likewise, we'd be glad to have a new targeting computer." A contract of this sort would also be a big leap for Corellia Digital. It made Siobhan remember a time when Firemane had just been a small, tier two largely limited to Kaeshana. It had certainly grown a lot for a retirement project meant to give herself and her wife something to do. Other than enjoy a cozy retirement and have good times with elf harem girls.

A joint development project with FIremane, and a new research endeavor for his own R&D department.

This cold call had worked out for more handily than he'd anticipated, or hoped. "It sounds like we're in business, Countess," the boy remarked appreciatively. This could change the face of everything, and reinforced why he wanted a more robust financial division to handle the portfolio of Corellia Digital's wealth and resources. This was starting to expand beyond the borders of a mere local venture.

"I look forward to working with your engineers," the boy commented, quite honestly in fact. The chance to work alongside Firemane was likely to spark some new ideas. He'd probably have some employees bail at the opportunity to go work for a larger corporation, but in the same way he might attract one or two of her own.

...okay, so not very bloody likely. He didn't know of anyone who'd choose to come live in Sith controlled territory. But, if he could launch a satellite office in Druckenwell, that would give him alternatives for corporate placement. Which might help recruitment a good deal.

"Perhaps we might meet when the details are ready to be put into print," the youth offered cordially. Contracts were signed all the time electronically, but it made sense to at least offer a face-to-face meeting. "Perhaps Voss?" the boy ventured, leaving the offer open in case she wanted to propose an alternative.

Siobhan, being a creature of habit, was very attached to her employees and spared few expenses to keep them were they were. Firemane employees were well-paid, the company looked after their housing, healthcare, security and education for their children. After all, their two bosses were mothers and knew how important family was.

Minions just had to put up with a rather autocratic leadership, occasional nepotism, ultrafeminism and a negative disposition towards trade unions. Then again, the latter did not seem to be much of a thing in general, given all the megacorps throwing their weight around. Firemane was probably one of the more benevolent ones.

"Excellent. I think a face-to-face meeting is a good idea. Voss is perfectly acceptable to me," she said agreeably. Though it was filled with Jedi, they were a good deal less annoying than most of the others she'd encountered. For one, they argued a lot less about their Code.

The boy nodded, standing away from the desk he'd been leaning against as he bowed his respects to the lady.

"Excellent," the youth intoned politely. "I should look forward to that." Certainly, a meeting with Firemane was not to be taken lightly. Indeed, he was treading on some dangerous ground. He needed their interactions to be profitable such as to invite further business, yet not so advantageous as to invite a corporate buy-out or take-over.

Genuflecting toward the holographic apparition, the boy bid the woman farewell. "Until then, Countess."

When the lady had terminated the connection at her end, and the hologram vanished, the boy stood and turned toward a 3PO unit. "Now, about the Chamber of Commerce..."

He'd won one financial battle. Now, to face a war on a whole new front.

Edging out economic territory in an established financial market.

Siobhan, being a rather prideful woman, appreciated the polite bow. "Likewise. Until then," she said softly, then terminated the call on her end. She finished her tea, then took a moment to lean back in her leather armchair. After all, it was a very fancy chair.

Needless to say, Harmony chose this very moment to step into the room. "Call over? I assume it went well, Lady. Your new friend is...kind of young. Hopefully there won't be any rumours floating around," she snarked. Being an incorrigible troll was sort of a requirement in this household.

Siobhan rolled her eyes at the lame joke. "Seems to know his stuff, so it's no big ideal to me. Says he had a hyperdrive malfunction and got thrust in time. I've seen weirder things," she moaned softly when Harmony massaged her shoulders.

"Really? I was about to suggest that he's a vampire. Like in, what's the movie called again, My Summer Blood. Though he doesn't sparkle," My Summer Blood was a notoriously cheesy, trashy movie about vampires, who were obsessed with naive teenage girls. For some reason the Anzati sparkled a lot and the series had spawned an obsessive fan community. Some vampires had complained about the movie being racist. Their grievances were probably justified.

"Harmony, don't be silly," Sio said, shaking her head as she dismissed the claims of her maiden, who at times had a far too vivid imagination. Or probably just wanted to troll her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom