Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Admins Breaking Rules?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright loves. So this is going to be a rant followed by open discussion...

So the last time I was told that the way I wrote my character was wrong I was not happy. Putting it mildly here. Now to be fair I was still fairly new here and part of my character's backstory was that she was a victim of sexual assault. Now everyone lost their collective osik adn I was told you can't do A,B,C, or D. When the rules state you cannot portray said act. Which I did not. The next thing was my learning Force Lightning which people were ticked about saying I was godmodding and OP'ed for a padawan but allowed for a writing partner shoutout to Rasu Gan to help me learn Electric judgement with her. Now I threaded for an item from the days of The Old Republic. I worked and put in the time to write well for said Item. And now I'm being told that a spirit attached to said Item having conversations with me IC is agiasnt the rules...

I looked at the rules, guess what nowhere in the rules does it say anything about that. It did say I couldn't write that spirit or whatever as a PC but nothing else. So here I sit having the admins say "No you can't write that immediately after saying that it's frowned upon as eveyone can have a different version." Understandable. I get it. However frowned upon was not the same thing as banned last I checked. Could be wrong though...Here's what gets me though. The Admins are telling me no you can't do that it's against the rules when I've seen no such rule. I'm also aware that by doing this they're hit-calling essentially. Saying no you can't do this is AGAINST THE RULES as it pertains to one character Joe-Blow telling another person (patty pie-maker) how to write the story and limiting patty pie-maker's character and story arcs. Now I've RP'ed in a group setting and reanimation of the dead via Sith Zombies is fine apparently it's what the character does. I approve, Sith zombles are fun to rp with... I've rp-ed with people who RP ghosts also very cool.

My question is have any of you dealt with this or similar situations where you've been told how to write and does an Admin have the ability to break the rules when it suits them and have nothing happen? Aren't they held to the same rules? Discuss please. Mingle, trade ideas. This is Chaos after all...

basically I worked for an item IC. I wrote the story for getting said item with 4,5? other peeps. I was basically just told by an admin. No you can't write it that way even if you put in the work for the item. Which is breaking the rules last I heard. Something about one player cannot tell another player how to write their character. So my question is are the admins held to a different set of rules? Isn't it he same if an admin tell you no you can't write your story YOUR way?

[member="Celiana"]

Did you sub the item in question through the factory?

Edit: My understanding is it's a canon item or contains a canon spirit. If so you need to sub it through the factory. If you have, link?

Celiana said:
Being Polite
An interesting tag to use when you're one step shy of explicitly calling someone out.

You were told that the use of canon characters in personal storylines is frowned upon. We do not include canon characters in this board as entities with which living characters can interact. They get referenced, their stuff gets played with, but the actual characters are generally absent. Is it a rule? No, but it should be. It's always been treated as one, and up until now, no one has had a problem with that.

What is happening to you is not godmoding. You're being told what the rules as intended are. They will likely be written soon, as now it's come up and there's been a reason to write them. The staff member who told you this is not shooting your character in the skull without your express consent. It wasn't even an IC thread. It'd be pretty hard to consider that godmoding without some pretty imaginative stretching.

[member="Fabula Caromed"] [member="Celiana"]

Writing canon characters is against the rules as to having them as a PC/NPC character. You can have reference to them, like some people still role with the last name etc and have "familiar" ties. But to writing a canon character that's against the character creation rules.

I'm curious as how this is something that "admins are being held to a different standard" is the admin in question writing a canon character? I'm a little lost as to what's going on and what exactly was told to you by the admin.

It's not a rule to call a baby a c*nt but you still shouldn't do it.

It says you can't play a canon character, by extension that also applies to RPing with one. It's just a logical step in the rule. Sure by technicality it isn't a rule but it's still something you shouldn't do.

As for admins with canon NPC's, I've never seen it occur in my two and a half years here, even if it did, it's not a big deal. It is likely for good story reasons, I.E Events. But as I said, I've never seen it happen

[member="Spencer Varanin"]
Let's say that a canon character is able to live for an extremely long period due to species or force or what have you. Even then, the Gulag Plague would have wiped them out.

Kruel Zing

[member="Spencer Varanin"] [member="Cira"] [member="Horus"]

Being completely impartial here, I think I get what she's saying. Its less about rping with said character and more about the item itself.

For example how the Karness Murr talisman held the spirit of Karness Murr and it would talk to those who it connected to and would try to dominate them taking their body for his own. Or how holocrons contain a gatekeeper that can in fact talk to the owner.

Two chaos submission examples being
The Axe of Adas
The Syn Talisman

One of which I worked for and would often have my character communicating with Sorzus Syn's spirit though it was often very short lines of the dark side speaking descent into his mind.

Celiana said:
I worked for an item IC. I wrote the story for getting said item with 4,5? other peeps.
What item?

Is it submitted through the Factory? If so, link please.

Celiana said:
Which is breaking the rules last I heard. Something about one player cannot tell another player how to write their character.

Quote me the rule and give me the link to the rule on the board in question. This is the only way we can understand what exactly you are stating when it comes to a "rule".

Celiana said:
are the admins held to a different set of rules?
A different set of rules in regards to "What"?

Celiana said:
Isn't it he same if an admin tell you no you can't write your story YOUR way?

A board administrator is exactly that, a board administrator. They handle all the OOC rules in regards to the board. If a member breaks the board rules, an administrator will handle that accordingly. So yes, they can if a member is breaking any of the SWRP Chaos Board rules.

A roleplay judge oversees roleplaying concerns and are the ones to mediate IC actions and disagreements when all avenues of approach have been exhausted.

[member="Celiana"]

Something about one player cannot tell another player how to write their character.
what my understanding of this rule is that, you can tell another character how to react, or harm them without that character's OK.

Admins do have to enforce so the rules so in that regard they can tell you
you no you can't write your story YOUR way

now that being said the Admin in question probably should have gotten involved much earlier and headed that canon characters issue off @ the pass, I find it heard that with 5 -6 people involved in a story that the issue was not brought an admins attention till the very end. In my experience here off and on for about 3 years it never flat no you can't do and nothing else there is almost a suggestion of a middle ground that is some were between they way you have written something, and basically negating all the work you put into it.

Honestly I just want to know why Admins seem to get a free pass on telling me how to write my character and while not sticking a gun to my Character's head and pulling the trigger it is still dictating how I write my character.

I feel like there's a lot of admins in this thread too. huh, interesting.

So if I wrote Plagueis as the spirit that'd be fine? He's not canon. As to the item it's not even canon either nor is the spirit attached to it as The SWTOR game and everything therein isn't considered canon either. So it's actually fine?

As to submitting the item Thank you to those who mentioned it I've been meaning to do that.

Canon characters have not ever been written by board staff at all.

We have considered it for events, but the decision was to keep to the rules.

Said character creation rules do not explicitly say you can't RP with a canon character. They've never needed to.

If this item has been submitted to the factory and approved please link it, otherwise it does not have official status here.

I can appreciate you're upset, but accusing anyone of breaking rules is a serious charge. I am hoping you can better explain your position here so we don't make assumptions.

I would ask that other members hold off posting here until Celiana can post a clearer picture of events.

[member="Celiana"]

[member="Celiana"]

Legends or New Canon, the rule does not distinguish.

It applies to Palpatine, Vader, The Exile, Marka Ragnos, Thrawn or any other character who has appeared in any official published work at any time.

As for admins being here, it's not surprising since you're accusing us of having double standards. I am still waiting to see examples of where this is the case.

The title was satirical and my way of expressing my feelings skewed though they may be. I posted the original question about the spirit in the other thread Valiens to determine if I'd even be allowed to write my story my way. Turns out I'm not and I'm unclear as to the point of claiming such items now. I'd thought that the point of such a quest was to write good story that IC wise i could use to build off of new and totally awesome stories. My original thought was hey let's claim Meetra Surik's saber still IP btw posting buddies have slowed down. For the dom at Malachor V which is still ongoing I checked with Rasu Gan my master IC and she was completely fine with it even though in the thread to claim it I hadn't done so yet.

I also went through and checked with others to see if they were ok with Meetra Surik's spirit being attached to the saber and messaged them OOC. Everyone I've RP'ed with has been totally supportive and onboard with the idea...I can even link threads to where other people have RP'ed with me. I was feeling good about it so that was why I asked the question on the previous post you were part of Valiens.

If it had ever been a problem before hand and someone had asked me not to or to stop I would have but I'd never heard anything so now I feel like those stories I'd started are going to have to end prematurely.... Can you see my frustration? [member="Ayden Cater"]

There was a post where I'd asked if Plaugies was canon and I'd been told not Disney wise you may have been a part of that one it's been awhile. So am I to understand that ANY spirit, person, etc mentioned in games, movies, books is off limits for PC OR NPC use? but that the items are? If so would it be possible to perhaps submit an entirely fictional NPC? Example say Meetra Surik's daughter's spirit?

BTW thank you for this
Valiens Nantaris said:
I would ask that other members hold off posting here until Celiana can post a clearer picture of events.
The above is my replacement idea for story replacement in the future Like I said totally willing to work with you all

Never mentioned in any way shape or form LEGENDS or DISNEY CANON ie doesn't exist yet. In any canon to my knowledge. Would that be ok? And if so would I be allowed to finish the threads said spirit is in and have the spirit guide me to a fictional place IC that I could retrieve Meetra's daughter's saber and have NPC interaction with Meetra's daughters spirit? I want to keep the story arc alive and I can do so with then non DISNEY/LEGENDS plot I've mentioned above. Would that be acceptable and just keep Meetra's saber and her spirit as a flurry of emotions and feelings as I transfer into the above Idea?

I'm totally willing to work with you all just frustrating when I was basically told whoops sorry shoddy luck ya know?

I aslo apologize if this came off as disrespectful/ I hate the Admins. Also IF the above Idea is greenlit [member="Valiens Nantaris"] I promise free drinks and regular Twi'lek Massages at a club I plan to open soonish.

[member="Celiana"]
To my very certain knowledge the Exile never had a daughter. She perished fighting the Emperor and her ghost dissipated once Revan was freed on Taral V.
Thus, your assertions are already outside the realms of actual canon and into headcanon. Therefore even if we allowed canon characters this would not be allowed.

I don't mind how you swing it, but you're not going to write with or interact with a canon character directly. Just change the name and have it belong to a random other Jedi, or ditch the Force ghost and claim the Exile's sabre...even though it wouldn't be on Malachor V, since she had it on Dromund Kaas 5 years later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom