Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech ACS-404 Active Protection System

Status
Not open for further replies.
ACS-404 Active Protection System
Intent: To modernize Vehicles and Tanks for Combat
Development Thread: http://starwarsrp.ne...nt-tread-on-me/
Manufacturer: ArmaTech Combat Systems and MandalHypernautics
Model: Mk1
Affiliation: ArmaTech Combat Systems
Modularity: It is a Modification and can be altered to fit almost any vehicle
Production: Mass
Material: Chaff Launcher, Four Signal Flare Launchers, Automated Droid-brain controlled computer, Lock-Threat Warning System

Weight: 50 Kilograms
Classification: Vehicle Modification
Special Features:

• Soft-Kill Measures: Utilizing Decoy Flares, Aerosol Chemical Smoke Launchers, and chaff it reduces the risk of being struck by guided missiles, torpedoes, and rockets
Weaknesses:
  • It has no effect against non-guided missiles, rockets, or torpedoes
  • Missiles still impact nearby even if they miss, endangering nearby allies
  • EMP Distortion: The systems sensors are heavily effected by EMP and Ion weaponry as they distort the sensor systems used on the Threat Warning System
Description:
Filling the Fourth Tier of vehicle defense the Active Protection System is designed around the sound philosophy that if the vehicle is not successfully targeted, it will not take damage. The system is created to attempt to force this against enemy attacks against an equipped vehicle. Controlled by a central droid brain connected to a standard Lock-Threat Warning system featured on Starfighters the system can be automated or manually controlled at the vehicle’s commander’s discretion.

At the most basic level Aerosol Chemical Smoke Launchers are used to visually obscure the vehicle from its enemies. A single system consisting of six tubes sits in the center facing of the main chassis. Each tube contains two smoke canisters for a total of twelve canisters that fire at an angle of 120° obscuring the vision of enemies in its front arc. The tubes must be manually reloaded from outside the vehicle so there is a limited number of times this can be done, four in most cases (Firing three tubes at a time).

The second level is intended to disrupt missiles, rockets, and torpedoes utilizing a guidance system to strike the vehicle. First a chaff launcher placed at the rear of the turret fires signal disrupting particles that scatter over the vehicle, confusing a warhead’s guidance system and partially masking the vehicles signature. Second four flare launchers, aimed to fire diagonally away from the vehicle launch sensor decoy flares that transmit signals identical to the vehicles signature, providing uncovered, undisrupted targets to lure the warhead away from the vehicle. The droid brain is capable of almost instantly detecting incoming threats and responding to them in a matter of seconds, as it does not have to fire in varying trajectories.

EMP and Ion weapons are known to distort the delicate Lock-Threat Warning Systems by simply striking in the near vicinity, causing the droid-brain to be unable to detect incoming missiles for a few moments. Once the charged particles or the EMP burst is no longer effecting the nearby area the system resumes normal function. Being struck by these weapons will disable the system as it would any other electronics. Because it works by confusing guidance systems, missiles without guidance systems are unaffected. Finally, launched missiles will still denote, possibly endangering nearby allies, reducing the system's effectiveness when used in groups or with groups of allies in the general vicinity. Finally a sensor jamming signal can also disrupt the Lock-Threat system.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lock-threat_warning_system
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Chaff
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Flare
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sensor_decoy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flare_(countermeasure)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaff_(countermeasure)

[member="Draco Vereen"]

Draco Vereen said:
Passive Signature Reduction doesn’t cloak the vehicle, and participating in combat will completely mitigate the reduction
  • What exactly does this do? Reduce the broadcast of a starship's magnetic signature? Such as what Admiral Trench used to track cloaked vessels in TCW cartoon?
As far as general questions go:
  • How much does this system / add-on weigh when considered for application to a vehicle?
  • How large is this system? By reading it, I am getting the impression that this is so sophisticated it almost could replace the main turret on a tank.
  • Is this an expensive modification?
  • This is a combination of a lot of Star Wars tech based on real world things. I will need to ask that you significantly elaborate on this tech, on a much more in depth level as to its' strengths and weaknesses and when/where each of the defenses are useful.
  • Please increase the amount of dev to about 50 posts for a defense system as elaborate as this, otherwise, please dramatically edit this submission and elaborate on its capabilities to justify its' abilities while still remaining balanced in the SWRP universe.
This is incredibly powerful, potentially game breaking due to the sheer number of defenses being implemented into a single vehicle mounting device. A device that is capable of nearly rendering all targeting weaponry 50% useless, while having relatively no substantially balanced aspects outside of that makes this very hard for me to pass. To touch again on elaboration of the tech, I would like to see:
  • How this tech reacts to EMP
  • How does the device fail 50% of the time? Is this by chance? Misread information? Incorrectly programmed calculations?
  • How quickly can this system respond to the many number of threats it is designed to protect against?
  • Please elaborate much more on the signature reduction aspect, as well as whether or not the computer systems can be sliced.

Draco Vereen said:
Production: Mass
  • This has to come down...limited is as high as I am willing to go until I can review this post-edits.

I removed the passive sensor reduction system. Effective in RL, but basically a Sensor Mask in Star Wars.
I removed the mention of a percentage as I felt that was a cause of much of the worry
I added that this Tech is effected by Ion and EMP weaponry, regardless of the Electromagnetic shielding I created Earlier this week. They won't make them inactive but they will distort them and leave them useless for a few moments

Let me know about anymore necessary edits.

[member="Draco Vereen"]

Much easier to read and follow now. This can stay at Mass production with the removal of that previous paragraph as it was the cause of most of my concerns.

Approved. Pending Secondary.

[member="Alric Kuhn"]

Alric Kuhn

Handsome K'lor'slug
With the nerfs I am satisfied. Please remember that in the future if this is used on a starship or vehicle that vehicle can still be denied.

Approved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom