Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A lesson in Government (Sargon)

Lucien sat in his office.Today he was to teach a soldier to be a politician, it was a welcome relief from teaching children to bend reality.He was to receive multiple guests today most were pawns one was not. Optio Sargon was to become a governor and Lucien was going to show him how to do it correctly.He stood up and walked from his desk running his hand along a varnished desk before descending the stairs from the platform where his desk stood.

He sat in a high backed chair by the unlit fire and kicked his feet up onto the coffee table.He had just got comfortable when his door eased open his butler stepped through "My Lord the governor of Bhakta to see you" The butler spoke his tone official and indifferent his job demanded no personal opinions. Lucien wafted his hand and returned to an upright position one leg crossed over the other "Send him in"
@Sargon

Sargon arrived at the estate of Governor Lucien Cordel with more then a little curiosity. He'd met the man a few times and had come to respect, and was pleased to be learning from. The position of military governor of Bakura was a situation being thrust on him in complete surprise. It seems it was true the slayers of tyrants often became tyrants whether it was his will or not. He'd changed out of his normal attire of body armor and moved to something he felt fit his position a bit more.
Instead he now wore a well pressed military uniform to remind the people of Bakura he was not an elected officail, but a military man with military precision to detail, and obedience. It was his greatest hope that the people of Bakura would prosper under him, but there would be no more foolishness of rebellion and dissent. He opted for a heavy black coat over his uniform that he was hoping would be able to hide the bulges of his blaster rifle and blade, but he was pretty sure Lucien would find them a bad choice. In which case he'd need a new method for his rather bulky choice of sword and shield.

Walking into the governor's office Sargon gave him a polite head bow to recognize his title. "Governor, its a pleasure to be working with you again. You're estate is quite lovely, remind me to attempt to emulate it. I'd like to offer my personal thanks as well for offering your services. I'm sure the people of Bakura will too"

"You have failed the first test, You made it sound Like I was better than you" He said barely moving at all "Flattery is good but too much is a death sentence, The lower classes attack weakness like hounds" He added he stood up "You should have left it at, Governor, its a pleasure to be working with you again. You're estate is quite lovely, Never the less I appreciate the compliment" He walked over to sargon "You are quite heavily armed again that hints at fear or a desire to oppress I would recommend only carrying a ceremonial sword let your guards pack the heavy stuff" Lucien said acknowledging the bulges having also pillaged the outer details of sargon's mind.He was however satisfied with both sargon's posture and attire. He ceased pacing and stopped in front of sargon.

"I am sure you didn't come here to listen to me criticize you your first lesson is in public speaking, How good do you think you are?" Lucien asked.Public speaking was the most important role of a governor, If he couldn't do that their career would crumble . Outside a market was set up in the square and eventual sargon would speak there.

Sargon took the comments in stride, the governor... rather Lucien was right it was much different station then was used to. The comments on his weaponry was expected as well, but he knew them to be true before he came. The attire was made to look foolish anyway with all the bumps, and besides a man in command of those around shouldn't need a gun. "Very well, I'll remember that, Lucien. As for my qualifications for the job I'll be completely honest I'm mostly blundering about in the dark. I've commanded soldiers in battle, but I understood the nature of war. Economics, production, and civic works all seem to be a bit much. As you know Bakura isn't pleased to have been absorbed by the Fringe. The execution of the former governor has won us a little stall in the gears of open revolt, but I'm honestly not sure of the best way to handle it. My soldier's instinct tells me to come down hard and wipe them out. I don't think this would lead to sustained order though merely another false calm before another storm."

Walking over to the window he he stood with his eyes gazing out over the estate. "I'm a military man, and I value three things above all else. Preparation, information, and efficiency. I'm absolutely committed to achieving my objectives with Bakura, but truth me told I think you'll have a difficult student in me. I've never had to be the one making objectives in mission. I was just the one who made sure they were accomplished."

@[member="Lucien Cordel"]

"Well then look at Governorship like a mission, In a war you can't kill everything so you remove the key objectives in governorship you tackle the issues at the forefront of the peoples minds and you help only those that pose a threat. Governorship is all about not getting impeached and to do that you either make people like you or fear you preferably both and you do that through presentation of policy and physical presence which we will discuss later, because although what you do is important it's how you present what you do that has an effect.For example If I said I'm raising taxes the people would become agitated and may revolt but if I see I am adding an effective increase in contribution to your futures through a small and temporary tax rise then the people will be less unhappy, People are fool Sargon but even fools can be dangerous." Lucien sat down again facing Sargon "Preform a speech here for me Sargon and then I will give you pointers"

Sargon nodded to Lucien as he thought over the possible speeches he could give. He decided he was best to give Lucien a chance to dissect a speech he'd been trying to work on anyway. First though he'd look the part, and so he removed his weapons and placed them against the wall his black coat now looking quite a bit more distinguished without all the bulges. He was going to have to bring in a secretary type, and a shield bearer to hold his arms, but he could handle the slightly naked feel he had without his weapons, and shield.

"People of Bakura, I am honored to be have been given the responsibility of leading us into union with the Fringe. I know your recent past has tarnished your once prestigious reputation, but we are not a tarnished world. I have plans for our world, plans that will bring us into the Fringe not as supplicants, but as a world of prestige. As our first step we shall build a new line of Bakuran class capital ships to show our might. Our technological wonders such as the HIMS system, and repulsor technology will lead the way in economic and military advances. With entry into the Fringe we have an entirely new market for our wares without tariffs. Your complaints of corruption in the government will receive a full investigation, and reformed before civilian government is restored. I may be your military governor assigned by the Fringe, but I promise you I will fight for you, and with you."

Looking over to Lucien he waited for his evaluation.
@[member="Lucien Cordel"]

"Yes that is very good,You show confidence and superiority whilst also involving your audience in a way which would appeal to their superiority I am impressed that speech will work well" He stood up "However I wonder whether you could speak so well spontaneously before a tough crowd.Some starport workers have seen fit to go on strike and I want to see If you can talk them back into work" He gestured for sargon to step outside"I will be out in a moment" Once sargon had gone lucien walked over to the communicator on his desk "Bring our guests to the starport in half an hour if you would"

The effectiveness of sargon's back to work speech was irelavant Lucien already had a way to return these sum to work.He joined sargon outside, at the base the marble steps leading to his intricately carved door sat a luxury transport, Lucien was nothing if not a show off.Luciens chauffeur walked over to the rear door and opened it bowing the pair inside.

Sargon arrived before the striking workers his mind going over the possible ways to resolve the situation. Without the details of the strike he wasn't sure which side of the argument was wrong, but a starport was simply too important to be shut down. The notable amount of security forces separated the striking workers from the raised stage. Looking over the crowd Sargon out of habit mentally examined the security forces and found them adequate. Activating his comms unit to go out over the intercom Sargon began his speech.

"What is the heart of a community? What makes it run? Shops? Industry? All of these things require the infrastructure you are shutting down out of self interest. You harm your neighbors, and friends with this shut down. I implore you return to work and continue bargaining from that position. A position which will not harm every local business, and increase the cost of everyday needs. A starport is the heart that pumps the economy of a planet, and by closing it your are killing your community. If you choose to continue harming your community you can be replaced I promise you. Military personal would have this entire facility up and running in less then an hour. The community will return to growth, but you will be left jobless. This is not a matter of whether or not your demands are valid. Its simply a case of the damage you are causing to your local businesses, and neighbors. It would behoove you and them to return to work now, and fight for what you believe is right without harming innocents."

"I'm sure you all enjoyed Lord sargon's lovely speech he comes from the land of reasonable people not like you urchins." He walked from the back of the stage down to the front "It is time you were reminded that you are not above me nor are you untouchable" Lucien flung his hands wide and the curtains parted to reveal 20 children .The strikers first born children.A gaurd handed him a ceremonial sword, Presharpened before removing his coat.Lucien took position behind the first child He positioned the blade on the child's right shoulder Flicking his wrist he severed the child's head from his body then he moved to the next one.People were frozen they were shocked as the next child's lifeless corpse fell to the floor the workers began to stir pushing forward only to be held back by millashia with shock batons.Lucien began to speak as he moved along "You will return to work ... because remember I can get to your families and no one cares but you and you are powerless.Your wages are to be slashed and your working hours doubled, any objection?" Lucien felled the final child he dismissed the crowd and thrust the sword into a corpse.His coat was replaced and he walked away from the lines of dead children.

"We are going to the prison for one last task before we ought to change for dinner" Lucien remarked as he returned to the car "You did well but as you see sometimes the most visious methods are the most effective some people are too stupid to see a lifeline when it is thrust before them, The harsh lessons are occasionally the best"

Sargon nodded silently as they moved to Lucien's luxury transport. He simply didn't know what to say about the efficient, and rather brutally simple solution Lucien had to the situation. He would have handled the situation much differently, but he supposed that is why he was here to learn different methods. As they rode along towards the prison Sargon glanced out the window. "Tell me, Lucien, what do you envision for this world? What are you molding it into? For Bakura I'm walking into a lot of history, and feeling of independence. My thoughts are to use these to create an image in their mind of mattering inside the Fringe. To use their own hubris against them."

Looking back towards Lucien he took a quiet sip out of his wine glass. It was a sweet white wine, and quite enjoyable on the taste buds. He was curious about Lucien's plans his methods of thought. The man was interesting, and while his methods were not exactly his own he had to admit they were effective.

"I envisage a world that runs at high efficiency where we are able to aid the fringe" he said reaching for a glass of his own" He smiled "you must have felt my methods brutish I must tell you that these people had rebelled previously and I had to deal harshly with them or they would continue to believe themselves to be superior" He lent back letting the wine dance in his mouth.

The car pulled up outside the granite fortress that held zaadjas worst prisoners and also those who upset Lucien and it was one such man who they had been brought to.The man was chained to the floor "Break his legs optio" Lucien said rather matter of factly.

Calling Sargon Optio triggered his soldier half as such their was no question of obedience. Taking a baton from one of the prison guards he brought it down on the prisoner's legs with two solid strikes. The bones cracked instantly under the strikes, and the crippled prisoner hit the ground in a crumbled mass. He didn't consider the act beyond following through with the orders given. Handing the baton back Sargon looked back at Lucien awaiting his comments.

"You failed Optio" Lucien sighed "You mindlessly did as I told you, a governor must make his own decision about matters,You didn't even ask what he had done to deserve having his legs broken" Lucien turned and walked back out of the cell "Come we must dress for dinner" he called back.He thought he had drummed into sargon that he must assert authority at all times but apparently not he got back into the transport and waited the final lesson would occur at the dinner party for Zaadjas business leaders.They had grown complacent and greedy to top that off they felt they were in charge.

Sargon took the judgement with a nod of his head, and he knew them to be true. He'd been a soldier, and mercenary for the last seven years he was used to following through on orders. As a mercenary he was more then willing to judge the pay in comparison to the mission, but as a solider he didn't get that much even. As for thinking for himself he had to admit in truth he hadn't even thought when the matter came up, he simply did it. It was going to be a difficult to break that, but perhaps it was also time for him to choose a path. Perhaps he simply couldn't be both Optio Sargon Vynea and Governor Sargon Vynea.

He would prove himself at dinner, he would not be limited by the mind of Optio.

Lucien stepped out of the car "Dinner is at 7 dress nice, my staff will meet all your needs " He said as he stormed into the house, He need a massage killing children was stressful how can these port workers be so inconsiderate be so inconsiderate.He went upstairs to his office and poured himself a brandy before falling into a chair.

At exactly 6:45 he glided down the stairs.Tonight was not that important so he had dressed down He was wearing a pre-tied bow tie and a pair of silver cufflinks instead of platinum He waited for sargon at the base of the stairs Sargon needed briefing, Lucien intended to punish his guests for during his arrest they had grown lazy and corrupt.

Sargon finished dressing looking himself over in his room as he prepared to met Lucien. He'd chosen a pair of well pressed black dress pants, a white button down, a tie with a black and red pattern, and a three button black jacket. He decided to leave his jacket unbuttoned as he approached Lucien. "Evening, Lucien, I can smell dinner from here. If its delightful as it smells it promises to be quite pleasant."

"I'm afraid dinner will be tainted by the fools I am entertaining tonight " He paced from the stairs but continued to talk "However I fully intend to deal with them ... do not drink wine the ask for water" He walked into the dining room and tapped the wall revealing a staircase down to the kitchen and dripped a clear tasteless scentless Liquid into the wine a truth serum that had unpleasant side effects for the user when drank with alcohol.Then he returned upstairs to await his guests forcing himself to smile slightly.
The first guest pandras the richer, was leader of the banking sector and In luciens absence the bank had lent out risky money and the top brass had received hefty paychecks whilst the normal day to day savers were left with depleted savings. The next guest was Frantas the wise,He controlled the Shipyards of zaadja and profits were lacking but sales were up how curious. The final guest Lanku the graceful was the overseer of the starport and her success had been witnessed first hand.They arrived with their families and aides each lavishing forced complements upon Lucien and his guest.These people sickened Lucien but they made perfect whipping boys however they occasionally needed reminding who was the Lion and who was the lamb.

Sargon watched Lucien pour the truth serum into the wine with a more then a bit of curiosity. To a Zabrak anyone you broke bread with was considered under your protection, and an honored guest while they stayed. There was no way for him to know what the mysterious clear liquid was, but he hoped in the deepest sense of the word that it wasn't some kind of deadly poison. He doubted it was though. For while the man seemed brutally efficient he seemed a man who didn't throw away a tool if he thought it could still be useful.

At dinner he watched Lucien's 'guest' fall over themselves with flattery, and chose to simply remain silence. Silence he found was his own weapon for when you did speak every word was hung on. Signalling over a servant to fill his water cup Sargon slowly ate some deliciously spiced meat while watching the guests. No wonder Lucien always was on the look out for better company their constant prattle about nothing simply hurt his ears.

Lucien was also becoming tired of their mindless drivel "Yes Im sure it was most impressive.... more wine Pandras? ... although I do quite think that it should be you entertaining me after all the money you have received, Frantas what a lovely chain, shame about the profits isn't it . How about you Lanku ? Just how productive are the workers now?" He looked around the table each one met his eyes but where some didn't see that they were ensnared in a trap,a few did Their partners and children stopped eating and looked sheepish. They all took the wine however because although Lucien phrased his words as if it were a question it was infact an order.

The serum would not only bind the person into telling only the truth but when mixed with alcohol it also had side effects ranging from temporary blindness to crippling stomach pain. He watched as they all began to drink "Pandras..." Lucien asked his voice carried a fake warmth and was overtly patronising "... Who were you in bed with last night?" Lucien asked the geonosian before him took a short time to answer as he tried to lie "A ... Woman who ... I paid ... 50 credits" He groaned as his wife slapped him.He was in the grip of the stomach pains he stood up "My lord..." He began weakly.Lucien looked at him smirked and then using the force he dragged the man back into his seat and held each one of his guests in a seated position "As you can see I have rendered you incapable of lying to me or The lord High commissioner" He said gesturing to Sargon "No one leaves the table until I am done with you. In my absence your weakness and corruption have grown to levels where even the most illiterate peasant can see that you are duping them, You need reminding where the boundaries are" He said looking around his table of prisoners "Perhaps you would like to aid me in ... dealing with these fools Lord commissioner " He said to sargon

Sargon stood up from his seat and slowly walked around the table glancing over the guests. Placing a hand gently on the geonosians shoulder he smiled down at him benignly. "Tell me before your Lord Governor truly chastises you, what have you done with his money? I'm sure you understand that being the governor its all his. Every penny, every acre, and every single product created on this planet."

Turning around he handed his jacket to a servant, unbuttoned his cuffs, and rolled up his sleeves. Sargon walked down to the end of the table and looked back. "Tell me, Lucien, what do you do with men who steal from you?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom